Colfax County was created in 1869 from Mora County which was created from Taos County, an original New Mexico county. The county originally covered the entire northeast corner of the state to the Texas border. In 1893 a portion of Colfax County was taken to create Union County. that area was divided again in 1921 to create Harding County.
Colfax County's terrain includes a portion of the Southern Rockies, the foothills with their mining regions, spreading into the cattle lands of the plains. The Santa Fe Trail's Raton Pass offshoot brought the initial settlers from the east to join the existing Mexican and Native American populations.
Can you help?
USGenWeb is a group effort. we are always looking for volunteers to help make the sites more comprehensive. All genealogical information is appreciated. Please contact us if you can contribute any records for Colfax County, NM
(preferably in .txt format), including
- census, mortality, birth, marriage, death, property and tax records or indexes
- church, school, military, bible, or cemetery records of colfax county
- wills, obituaries, or newspaper articles about colfax county residents
- lists of colfax county books or publications held in libraries elsewhere
- look-up volunteers to research information in colfax county resources nationwide
- published works, only if authorized by the original author
If you can assist or have suggestions for other resources to be included, please let us know. Your participation is valuable.
This site is currently looking for a new owner. Expressions of Interest can be directed to the State Coordinator, Susan Bellomo or Leon Moya Assistant Coordinator